Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snow Storm Update

The good news is that we never lost power.

The bad news is that despite the storm not really hitting us, schools closed and I had kids here all day. It was far less snow than other days when the kids have had school. Schools closed from media hype, not actual snow.

The other bad news is that there were places in the North East that it did hit hard, so Adam's catastrophe unit at work was activated. He technically can so no to the long hours, but we really need the money right now so we are in no position to turn down overtime.

I have always had mixed feelings about him being activated. The money helps, but I miss him.

This is the first long activation he has had since Jayden was born. As much as I didn't like it before, I hate it now. He is basically only sleeping here while this is going on.

I had kids here all day yesterday, which meant Jayden fought naps all day so he wouldn't miss a single thing the kids did. By the time all the kids were gone, Jayden was a crying, whining mess. (Why is it the more overtired the baby is, the harder they fight sleep?)

Our weekend plans are cancelled because he will most likely be working straight through the weekend too.

All I can say is, I give single parents all the credit in the world. That is something I have thought about since the day Jayden came home from the hospital. I don't know how they do it. Adam and I make a good parenting team. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have someone to share the parenting with. It has to be so hard.

8 comments:

  1. I think the same thing about my husband and I. I would never ever be able to do this alone. I hope you get some rest this weekend and Jayden takes some long naps. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this crazy weather ends soon so you can have a full time husband again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope he doesn't have to stay gone long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how single parents do it, either. My mom was pretty much a single mom and when I think back to all the things we did to drive her crazy, I'm surprised she didn't leave us on a street corner somewhere!

    I hope Adam gets to spend more time at home soon. I wish I lived closer. I'd come help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thought the same thing about being a single parent - how hard would that be! Hope everything settles down quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you didn't lose power, but sorry about Adam being away so much!

    Speaking as a single parent, it's hard but when it's all you know, you just do it. And it can have its perks - I may not have anyone to share the parenting burden with, but I also don't have to argue or negotiate with anyone about how to parent. All the decisions are mine to make, which can be both a burden and a blessing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know. Seriously, Mark and I work part-time, have help from grandparents and we have one child. And I find it hard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly have no idea how you do it. I rely so heavily on Dave for sanity breaks and other help. If he was working that many hours AND I had all those other kids around... I'd lose it. What can I say?! You rock!!

    And, there's an award for you on my blog. :)
    http://www.lifeinthelastfrontier.com/2011/02/way-way-overdue-blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete