Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I Am A Craft Supply Hoarder

My worst ADD symptom is that I am awful at organizing things.

I remember when I was diagnosed, the psychologist who had done my testing had a meeting with me a week later to go over the results. One of the things she was able to do, based on my results, was perfectly describe what my bedroom looked like. She explained that I need to think outside the box when it came to organizing my things. Open shelves or even bins instead of dressers with drawers. I always think back to that conversation and try to give myself some slack and come up with solutions to my organization problems.

I also have a problem with craft supply hoarding. Between crafts and art supplies for the kids and my own crafting supplies....well, let's just say I have a lot.

The majority of our second floor is Jayden's nursery. The exception is a very small room with a desk, which was my craft room. I outgrew that room quickly:


Yes, these pictues are very embarrassing.
Although in my defense, it didn't get this messy until after Jayden as born. :)


After that room was full, I began to take over the hall outside the room as well:



Oh, and this is in the dining room:

This is in a closet:


This is in our bedroom:

(Although I would like credit for how well organized these supplies are! haha.)


So, you may be asking yourself why I am sharing my embarrassing photos. It's because I am determined to get all these things organized and in one place. I am turning our back porch into a craft room. A place where all supplies will be stored and easy to find. It's not ideal because although it is enclosed, it doesn't have heat or AC so it can't be used year round. But, I can easily go out there and get what I need, use it inside, and then put it back out there when I am done.  I am slightly concerned about how some items will hold up in heat or cold, but this is the best solution I could come up with.

One of the biggest reasons I am determined to do this is that I want to start on Jayden's scrapbook and there is no way I can do it while being this unorganized. I have been saving things for his scrapbook for about 10 years now. I think it will be great once I locate everything I need.

Also, once I get everything out of the upstairs, the entire second floor can be for Jayden. That will be my next big project. I would like to create a sleeping area, comfy reading area, play area, and then make my current craft room into a homework room he can use when he gets older. It's perfect because it's a very small room that pretty much only consists of a big built in desk and a chair.

So, here I am putting it out there. I will do this. Now that I have blogged it, I have to, right?

I'll keep you updated on how it's going and post pictures of the back porch as I go.

4 comments:

  1. Obviously we need to have a scrapbook day so you can use some of your stuff! It will be productive and help you organize some of your crafts! LOL All my scrapbook things are buried in my closet somewhere. And I JUST organized all my kid art supplies into bins. Alot easier for me to keep organized. Pretty sure you have about 10x more stuff though. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. My craft room looks similar to yours! I've been saying I'm going to organize it for a long time now. Hope your re-organization goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck in your reorganization! I tend to get very overwhelmed with projects like that, and one thing that I've found that helps is to only work on it for 15 minutes each day. I can do anything for 15 minutes! And you'll be surprised at how much you can get done in that short amount of time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm proud of you for posting this! You should see my dining room right now. I took it over after Christmas; the idea was that I could have some scrapbooking/cardmaking things out all the time. That way, when I have 20 minutes to myself, I can spend it crafting instead of dragging things out and putting them away.

    Now, however, it looks like a small craft shop exploded and I never do seem to find those 20 minute chunks of crafting time. I've been thinking lately about just putting it all away for a while, but that makes me sad. So there it sits. Haha!

    You can do it! I can't wait to see the after pics. <3

    ReplyDelete