My sister lives about 7 hours from us. I would obviously love to go meet my nephew. When my sister went into labor, my gut reaction was to hop in the car and drive. And when I realized I couldn't, I cried. I hate being so far away. (I have been hard at work on a campaign to get them to move back here.)
I actually made hotel reservations to go the same weekend as my parents.
But, I have changed my mind 943 times since making those reservations.
So, I decided to make a Pro/Con list.
- I get to see my sister. (And brother-in-law.)
- I get to see my NEPHEW!!
- Swimming in the hotel pool.
- Taking Jay to their local zoo so he can see new animals.
- Road trip in the Fall.
- Mini vacation.
- Trader Joes & Whole Foods
- Just in the past week we have finally gotten Jayden to start sleeping through the night in his crib. It was such a long road to get here. Sleeping in a hotel may ruin that. He will most likely be sleeping in bed with us for those nights.
- 7 hours in the car each way.14 hours of Jay being strapped in his car seat and hating it. HATING IT. Screaming, crying, etc.
- $$$. My sister lives just outside a big city and the hotel prices are not cheap. Add in food and gas and it's a lot. We will be paying for it for many months. (Not to mention the money I am losing by taking off from work.)
- I've been feeling really sleep deprived and overwhelmed lately. This would be a weekend away getting nothing done. (I still have all of Jayden's birthday party stuff taking up my entire back porch!)
- Packing for a trip with a one year old is really hard.
- An entire weekend of being places that are not baby proofed.
- We would need to find someone to house sit/take care of our cats.
I don't think I can express how much Jayden hates being strapped into a carseat. Whenever we go anywhere, after about 20 minutes, he tries to unbuckle his car seat (which he can't do...yet) and then starts yelling out and then crying. Even on a normal trip somewhere in our town, I sit in the back with him to keep him company and distract him. We went to Ohio last April and the car ride was hellish. This would be even longer.
But....tiny new baby nephew!
What do you think? Advice?
(One way of the driving will be at night when Jayden is usually sleeping.)