Thursday, February 11, 2010

Opening Up

Our adoption agency always says that we should get out there and network as much as we can. The biggest thing they suggest doing is telling EVERYONE you know that you have a homestudy and want to adopt. That hasn't been something I ever felt comfortable doing, but after 18 months of waiting, I feel like I just need to get over feeling shy about it and do everything we can.

So, last night I did something brave. I sent out a private Facebook message to a bunch of friends telling them all about our situation. (I know it would have been a lot braver if I put it on Facebook for everyone to see, but for me the message was a big step.) I asked everyone to keep us in mind if they ever come across someone who is thinking of making an adoption plan. I even included the link to my blog in case anyone was interested in reading about our journey to parenthood.

Sharing my blog made me feel very vulnerable. Not many people from my "real life" have read it. But, Jenn from The Road To Happily Ever After was the one who gave me the courage to share. She said she "came out" about her infertility on Facebook and received a lot of support. She said once you open up about it, you find other people who have experienced infertility and people that are just genuinely interested in reading your blog, following your story, and offering support.

So, I opened up and shared and feel really good about it. The responses so far have been amazing. I am truly touched by everyone's stories and kind words. And you never know, maybe reaching out to people will lead us to our baby.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for doing that. I know I would be scared to. I'm very hush hush about us trying. And only one or two people that I know IRL read my blog.

    I really hope this helps you and Adam get the baby you've always wanted. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, "coming out" about our infertility journey almost two years ago was a hard decision but the support we received from family and friends was incredibly amazing, still is.

    So glad that you have had such a positive response.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both you and Jenn are very brave and I love it. So glad that you've been receiving a positive response. Know that I'm always wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so brave of you! I really hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really brave. I hope it works out for you and you get your baby that much sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, I think the is a big and wonderful step! We had been having trouble with fertility and mentioned it to someone and they knew of twin boys who were being put up for adoption by their friend. We went full force at trying to adopt them but in the end this didn't work out. Talking about it opened up to an oppurtunity we would not have had. Good luck I am praying that you find the right match soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is very brave. Congratulations! I was very open about my miscarriage with people I know and on my blog which I post on facbook and so many people have contacted me and I have loved the support. I hope the same works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We turned an important corner when we told everyone that we could not have children biologically and we're going to adopt. We didn't tell people to "find" a baby. We told everyone so that everyone would think of us and support us and just maybe the universe would hear all of our voices. And it did. We adopted the love of our lives 6 months ago in a local BC adoption. And you will too. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWW LISA! You made my heart so happy! My new conceive blog is for you =) I'm hoping it will be posted tomorrow! I'm so glad you decided to take the plunge! This isn't something you should ever have to go through alone! Know that I am always here for you =) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel the same way. I came out on FB about our infertility and was amazed at how many friends had dealt with/are currently dealing with infertility. I was also pleasantly amazed at how many fertile friends wanted to learn more (supportively) and write random notes to me letting me know that they are thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - am really proud of you that you overcame that step! I am yet to be there... haven't told anyone really about my IF, and DEFINATELY not about my blog (only my SIL knows about it so far)... I really hope that opening those doors proves to be a positive thing for you! And hopefully it will even bring the good news that you deserve so much!

    ReplyDelete