Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I'm Home

I am home.

I am in too much pain to write a lot, but I did want to say I am home and everything is okay.

I was not able to get any sleep in the hospital. I was in a lot of pain and really uncomfortable being hooked up to so many things. IV in my hand, oxygen in my nose, catheter in, and plastic things wrapped around my legs squeezing them so I didn't get blood clots. Plus the nurse coming in to check blood pressure, temperature, etc. I am a really light sleeper and it all made it impossible for me to rest.

I am able to sleep more at home, but there are things I do miss about the hospital: the bed, the catheter, and the nurse bringing my pain meds on a regular schedule. I have found it's hard to keep track of pain meds when you are tired and in a lot of pain. I woke up at 3:30 in the morning in incredible pain and unable to get out of bed at all. I took some pain meds and by 5:30 I was able to get myself to the living room to sleep more in the recliner. Thanks to Kim's suggestion, I have come to realize the recliner is the closest thing in the house to a hospital bed and it's a lot easier to get out of if you need to use the bathroom.

Adam has been amazing. Helping me in and out of the recliner or bed whenever I need. Getting me anything I want. Setting the laptop up on a pillow in front of me so I can write this. He has even started keeping a chart of when I take the medications so he can keep track. And in between he has been making Christmas cookies all day!

My Mom brought me lunch and watched TV in bed with me for a while.

I am in the worst pain of my life, but I have a lot to be thankful for. I could not prepare myself for how bad the pain would feel, but I told myself if I lived through the surgery and was able to be home for Christmas, then I would be thankful. No matter how bad it was.

You would not believe the amount of support I have gotten from twitter. They really got me through this. Lots of advice from people who have had hysterectomies. And a gift basket from an amazing group of twitter friends. I will be writing a whole post about that later, including photos of the present they sent me.

My brother and sister in law are in town from all the way across the country. After my surgery my sister in law braided my hair for me, rubbed my leg after a charlie horse, and even wrote me a list of things I needed to do before leaving the hospital.

My sister and brother in law are driving home from Boston right now as I type this.

We are going to all be together tomorrow. I am going to be drugged up and wearing my pajamas in the recliner, but we are going to be together. And we can all enjoy a good laugh as we open presents and find the post-it notes I wrote.

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome family! I am so happy and relieved that everything went ok with the surgery. You are so incredibly wonderful and your friendship and support mean the world to me and many others <3 Now rest, enjoy your gift basket and have a wonderful Christmas with your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa-

    I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. I had the same surgery in Nov: it will get better. Take it easy, take your meds as required, walk ALOT and make sure to wear your belly band.

    Enjoy your Holidays!

    Sen

    BTW: I found your Blog from Liz-Inventing My Life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've got lots of wonderful support.

    Know that I'm thinking about you and wishing you all the best for your recovery.

    Enjoy your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about you all week. I am so glad you are okay. Feel better, take some pain meds, and look at the lights on the tree...

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted you to know I am thinking about you right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete